My little Spud and Sprite turn 3 on St. Patrick’s Day! I can’t believe how time has flown since I found out I was pregnant. We’ve gone from this:
Our Fire Station Tour & Birthday party has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances but in the meanwhile, we are planning to celebrate their birthday by a morning at the park with friends and then heading back to our house for hot dogs and cupcakes. Perfect birthday fare for 3 year olds.
There are dozens and dozens of recipes out there for chocolate cupcakes – dark, super dark, raspberry, ganache-filled, ganache-topped, lavendar, super moist, etc…whatever may suit your fancy is out there. After looking at about more than a dozen, I’ve settled on this recipe from http://www.acupfullofcake.blogspot.com for both Shanna’s cupcakes & chocolate ganache frosting.
Best Chocolate Cupcakes Ever
By a Cup Full Of Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( Dutch process like Droste or another GOOD brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled (cooled for about 15 min make sure its still melted though don’t want it to harden back up)
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp water, heated to boiling ( have a kettle of water on the stove boiling ready to go)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (not wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
2. Place paper baking cups in regular sized muffin tins, spray edges around
3. Whisk together the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt)
4. In a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer whisk eggs till slightly thickened and a pale
7. Either add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients OR the wet into the flour and mix
8. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups
9. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and free
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces of chocolate ( baking bar or pistoles chopped up NOT chocolate chips)
- I prefer using bittersweet or semisweet
- Chop up the chocolate and place in to a non reactive bowl like a stainless steel bowl.
- Heat the cream til it just boils then pour over the chopped chocolate. Let sit for 5 min then whisk until the chocolate is all melted and smooth.
- Let sit out until thickened before dipping. If you chill in fridge it may set up too hard so usually an hour or so at room temp works just fine.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes in the cooled ganache.
I can’t wait to try this!