This is a moist & delicious banana bread recipe that i foundat sweetpeaskitchen.com. I’ve adapted it so if you want to see the original recipe, go to http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/02/09/banana-espresso-chocolate-chip-bread/
- 4-5 mashed, very ripe sm-med sized bananasout
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (you can use bleached, too)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or fine grind espresso (I used Cafe Bustelo)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Guittard extra dark chocolate chips
- 1/2-3/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9×5 inch loaf pan or in my case a round baking pan 9″x1.75″.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir just until combined. Fold in the dried cranberries chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth surface with a rubber spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before serving, at least 1 hour.
IMPORTANT: BE PATIENT and let your banana bread cool or you’ll end up with 1/2 cm of the bottom staying in your pan. I found that out today thanks to impatient 3 yr old who set the table with fork, spoon &* dish waiting anxiously for her “-nana bread”.
Variations: I’ll be trying this again as soon as the fresh cranberries are out at my local HEB.
I haven’t tried this recipe yet but it’s on my list for the weekend. It makes two loaves. I’ll report back on this one!*
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the bananas, vanilla and eggs.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Pour into two greased 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F. Check on the bread after 35 minutes (it may take up to 60 minutes). Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the banana bread in the pan for 10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.
I JUST put 3 loaf pans of banana bread in the oven…we’ll see what it tastes like in about an hour. I did find a great site for banana bread recipes that look delicious:
Banana Bread Recipes
One of the recipes is very similar to the above but called for a 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt. I happen to have some plain yogurt sitting in the fridge so I decided to add 3/4 cup (the recipe I’m using is larger). Hopefully, it will help make a moist banana bread!