I’m not sure where this recipe originated. An internet Google search turned up several variations – all of which are more complicated than the recipe my Mom and Uncle Manny use. However, I can confidently say that our version is always a hit.
- Chicken Breast – shredded
- Jar of sliced pimiento peppers
- Jar of sliced mushrooms
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 can of cream of mushroom
- pepper to taste
- Boil chicken breast/s until cooked. Let cool and then shred. Transfer to medium pot or sauce pan.
- Drain pimientos & mushrooms. Add to shredded chicken.
- Add evaporated milk & cream of mushroom.
- Pepper to taste.
- Let simmer on low until heated through being careful to not let burn.
- Mixture will thicken. Can be served either warm or chilled.
PUFF PASTRY SHELLS:
We typically use Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry Shells. They come 6 to a box. They also sell miniature shells which would be perfect to use for appetizer size.
Bake pastry shells as directed on box.
An option to the puff pastry shells that Mom and Uncle Manny both used to do is to take a cupcake/muffin pan and line each cup with a slice of white bread with the crust on all 4 sides removed. This forms a shell/cup. Bake in the oven until the bread is crisp. Remove each toasted cup carefully after cooling.
Remove tops from pastry shells and spoon chicken mixture into shell. You can be generous & fill to almost over-flowing.